Monday, September 14, 2009

Post War





















































































































































































I'm 54 and I've lived through too many wars. For people my age, though, when the term "post war" is used, it means the ten to fifteen years right after World War 2. It's when our parents rebuilt their lives, and when we were born. Some would say that the period ended with Korea, others with Vietnam. Written on the back of the photo of the single figure standing on the ship deck, "Yours truly on board ship. Avoiding some detail no doubt. Love Ralph." The two guys sitting on ship, "Gen. McCrae, A fellow from Detroit and myself on board ship. Love Ralph." The closer of the two shots of Ralph standing in front of the tent, "Verdun, Yours truly in the doorway of the tent I lived in when I first got to Verdun. Love Ralph." The barracks building, "Home away from home." The store front with the confederate flag and tires, "Save your Confederate money, boys. The south will rise again." Ralph on the swing, smiling, "Cute boy!" With face covered, "You name it." The lake, "Lake Mitchell June 7, 1954." The only other dated photo is of the children, printed on the front, right border, OCT 62. No locations or dates written on the European shots, but it does remind me that my father once told me that both the great depression and the war were good in one way, it forced Americans to get out of their small towns. Ralph may still be alive, and if he is, I hope he leaves a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment